Davor van Eijk studied human-computer interaction design at the Utrecht School of Arts and gamedesign at the University of Portsmouth eventuating in the European Media Master of Arts title. Among other non-commercial activities van Eijk contributed to the development of several Playstation games by Teamparc, a Sony NetYaroze development team.
After his education, van Eijk started his career as designer and animator at TvZ Studios. In 2001, van Eijk joined Cascade and became the creative core of the companies’ user interface design team in 2002. During this time, he worked as designer on websites including FMO, Woonbron(Maasoevers), De Argonaut and NVZ. Later he was responsible for the complete digital style of Dudok Wonen, AWV, Actiz and other major organisations.
In 2007 van Eijk switched to Albumprinter. As Senior User Experience Designer van Eijk worked closely together with awarded industrial designer Nicolaï Carels. He designed user interfaces for both their on- and offline applications. This software is used in more than 20 countries in Europe, the USA and Asia.
Currently, van Eijk works for Netpresenter the company behind Amber Alert, the Dutch nationwide alert system for urgent cases of missing children and child abductions. He joined Netpresenter to collaborate in the development of innovative technology to present information on multiple devices. Van Eijk lives in Maastricht.
- Netpresenter 2009-today
- Albumprinter 2007-2008
- Cascade – visuele communicatie 2001-2007
- TvZ Multimedia 2000-2001
- Explainer DC 1999
- Webflex 1997
- De Vries 1997-2001
- Amstelvliet Bouw 1995, 1998
- Moresome 1999-2000
- Teamparc 1998-1999
Please note references are available on request.
- Writing well structured functional (design) documents and user manuals.
- Reading experience examining and analyzing various types of textual – including scientific and technical – information. Also structuring information, functions and adding relevant relations.
- Research using literature, the web, inquiries and expert interviews. A specialism is testing interactive systems like games, websites, et cetera.
- Conceptualization skills include idea generation, brainstorm techniques, moodboards, concept art, analogue and digital prototyping. To visualize ideas both drawing and painting skills are both analogically and digitally developed.
- Identity- and logo development, branding and stationary design.
- Giving presentations for small and large groups (of clients) in both educational and commercial environments.
- App design for Android and iOS.
European Media Master of Arts Game Design
Institute: University of Portsmouth, Great Britain
Subjects: project management, methods of research, team project: pre-, post- and production (for an external client), individual project, thesis
Qualified: October 24th 2000
Institute: Utrecht School of Arts (Faculty of Art, Media & Technology), The Netherlands
Subjects: interaction design, context and philosophy, psychology/sociology, technology, visual design, management and projects
Qualified: June 25th 2000
Higher General Secondary Education
Insitute: Amstelveen College, The Netherlands
Subjects: Dutch, English, German, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Arts (history & craftsmanship)
Qualified: June 27th 1996
Over 20 years of computer experience. Both PC en Mac. Repeatedly used applications include:
Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Acrobat, After Effects, Audition (former Syntrillium Cool Edit), Corel(former Metacreations) Painter, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Director, Flash, Caligari Truespace, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio
Mobile Devices, Computers, Videogame Consoles, Websites, CD ROMs, Print
I get inspired from various sources. Nature remains a mighty muse-activator. Artists include Gaudi, McQuarrie, Lawrence, Tooker, Hopper, Magritte, Degas, Escher, Guimard, Turner.
Favorite game art?
Myst games, The Neverhood, WipeOut games (XL, Wip3out).
To what music are your listening while working?
Just a few examples: Sidney Bechet, Eva Cassidy, Regina Carter, John Petrucci, Ilse deLange, REM, Dave Brubeck, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Niccolo Paganini.